Friday, September 5, 2008

Soccer Kids

Why did I agree to do this? I don't think I had to, I probably could have said no. But if I had I wouldn't have had the experience I had last night.

Last night was my first soccer game as a coach.

Let me explain something to you, I don't like soccer. I thought I did, I tried to at age 10. But soccer and I don't get along, maybe it's the running? It could be the fact that for an entire season all I did was run back and forth and back and forth with my only job being to keep the ball on the field. It could also be the fact that I only made one goal the entire season. Or maybe it's because I didn't get a trophy at the end of the year. We could go really deep and say it's because Laurel's soccer pictures turned out better than mine. Whatever the reason, I never wanted to have anything to do with soccer again, especially after being a referee at age 13.( I don't like to talk about this. Big mistake. Painful memories.)

Even after this fervent promise, when Olivia, Claire, and Quentin signed up for soccer just weeks ago. I found myself in a whirlwind of vague questions and answers, what I believe to be somewhat false information, and slight pressure from all sides. I found myself agreeing to co-head coach Quentin's soccer team. I felt pretty confident about this decision. I mean I was only a co-coach. Until I found out who my other co-coach was...Laurel. When we found out we tried to back down. But it was too late, they had already sent out the schedule with every coaches name and what team they were coaching. Salt in the wound was we didn't even get our own names on it, they put us down as the Tyson Twins. I am so not kidding, it was very demeaning.

but all in all I thought it would turn out OK. I mean, how hard could it be to teach 3, 4, and 5 year olds how to play soccer...You have absolutely no idea.

to be continued...

Paige

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do not envy you guys one little bit... haha!

but i totally understand the part about being lumped together... believe it or not, me and hannah get that a lot... The Thomas Girls. ugh. so annoying!!! haha, not bitter at all, are we? :P

Jean Woest said...

LOL you guys crack me up.

I'm glad to see you're still alive and bloging. I was begining to think you had given the blog up all together...

See you when I see you

jean

Anonymous said...

Angie understands completely. Her maiden name was Call. So, of course she was known as a "Call girl." Definitely not complimentary. Also people thought it was funny because she grew up with her two cousins. It was never Angie, Mary and Kristy it was "there go the call girls" or "hey it's those call girls."