Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Surprise

I was going to write a blog about my birthday: What I got, What I did, How much fun I had...... But then something happened. This will be a little about my birthday to give you the whole story. I'll start off with telling you what my dad got me for my birthday. I was expecting him to actually completely forget about it, and I was OK with that. So when I found out that he not only remembered, but got me a present, I had mixed feelings about it. I mean, what would he get me? So when the $50 gift certificates arrived for me and Paige, I thought it was a good present and I was happy about it!

But, of course.... it was too good to be true. Later that day my mom got a call from the vice-president of her insurance company. Turns out he had been working late and decided to pull up my parents' policy. Well, my mom's was all up to date, but it seemed that my dad's hadn't been paid since March, so it had been cancelled! The insurance agent had wanted to make sure we were aware. Of course we were. NOT. Well, thanks dad! If something happens to you, there is no insurance money, but at least we'll have $50 to Nordstrom!

But it was this morning that was the real shocker! I got up, made tea, went to choir....the usual. Except when my mom picked us up, I knew something was wrong. How did I know? Two seconds after I got in the car, she said "are you sitting down?" Not a good sign. I knew it was most likely about dad, so with a groan, I said "What happened now." She said "Guess." It only took one guess and Paige beat me to it. "Dad got fired, didn't he." Her silence and tight smile was enough.

I can't say I was surprised. I wanted to be, but I wasn't. I always kind of knew it would happen someday. I didn't want it to, but it did.

-Laurel

1 comment:

Jean Woest said...

Wow, I'm sorry your birthday went so sour... How will your dad's firing affect you guys (or will it not?)... Anyway, we've all been missing you at church and wondering how you are both doing... Are you still alive? ;)