Friday, September 5, 2008

the butter made from peanuts

Today I came to a revelation. One so huge, it will probably change my life. How could I have not realized, not experienced this before. I thought I had it all figured out. Life was simple.
Apples were meant to be eaten by themselves, and peanut butter went on a spoon, complementing chocolate milk.
How could a life-changing moment come out of this, you ask? Well, allow me tell you a story. One that will probably make you simultaneously laugh and cry from the sheer awesomeness of it.

Once upon a time......... A couple weeks ago, I found myself in a kitchen. The family there was happily munching away on a snack, and me, never to turn down food, accepted their offer to help myself. What was on the table shocked me, although not at first.
I looked and saw apple slices. Normal, I thought. Then, I saw chunky peanut butter. Also normal. Both delicious, but quite regular.

But then, to my dismay, I quickly observed that there were no spoons! How can you eat peanut butter without spoons! I looked around the table frantically, trying to figure it out. My heart racing, I looked to the simplest place for help. If he knew what to do, I was sure to figure it out. I rested my wandering eyes on the 3 year old. He had just picked up an apple slice, and, to my shock, was propelling it with chubby fingers towards the chunky peanut butter! As I looked on in disbelief, he scooped up some peanut butter with the apple and took a bite!

"How can this be!" I thought, marveling at the sight. But it was true, and I had to try it! Quickly, before I could change my mind, I heaped the butter made from peanuts onto my apple slice and took a bite. I slowly chewed, allowing the flavors to meld and blend together. I thoughtfully swallowed, and with a new mentality, I quietly, almost in a whisper, said "This...Is...Good. And then I knew, that snack time would never be the same.

Laurel

1 comment:

Jean Woest said...

ROFL!

I have told you before and I'll say it again, you have quite the talent for taking the ordinary and making it into a compelling story. You should write a story I can tell Jason before he goes to bed! LoL.