Sunday, June 22, 2008

Starting out

I'm alone. I'm going crazy. Is it supposed to be like this? Nobody cares.


Ever thought that? Not necessarily in the context of just every teens' life, but when you are in a situation where you can't speak out; there is something in you that makes you hide. And most of the time you don't even realize you are doing it because after a while, it's natural. It's fear, it is now what this blog is about. Not fear necessarily, but the journey from it and into peace. The journey from abuse, into something better.


In this blog we are going to figure out how to deal with the abuse that nobody can see, because of the so-called logic that has been programmed into you telling you it's not real, that you are crazy for thinking something is wrong, because this is your life and it can't change.


Guess what? That logic is false. I have been through and am still going through emotional, spiritual, financial, psychological and mental abuse from my dad. And most of my life I thought it was normal. I thought that every family was like that and there was nothing I could do. Just make a perfect mask for the outside world and deal with it. But honestly, whenever you have to make a mask so nobody know what's going on, then there must be something wrong. Of course, I didn't even realize I had put on the false front, so I didn't think that it was wrong either.

Before I knew it (and I am still trying to wrap my head around this concept) I was living 2 different lives. One at home and one for every one else. At home I didn't have a "mask" but the most comfortable way to live was to hide my feelings and opinions and just agree with him if I wanted to stay out of the line of fire. The "mask" was for everyone else, was so everybody thought that our family was the picture of perfection.

All of us were so good at it. People would ask if we ever fought or had a disagreement, we would just give a little laugh and shrug. All the while fear was clutching at our hearts and minds making sure we never gave any hint as to what our life was like at home.

I can't tell you how many cover stories I made up to make sure my dad's reputation didn't get hurt. It makes me sick that my dad had me under his control so much that I would lie for him. He would ask me to hide mail before my mom got it, so, as he put it "we don't get into a fight" and, of course, I couldn't say no.

I hid things about my dad from my mom for almost 3 years. Finally, when we moved to southern Oregon, my sister and I started really talking to my mom about the abuse and other things we saw that he was doing wrong. We were able to help each other by talking things out and praying together.

I remember that it had finally gotten really bad when I was about 10. I was terrified of what he would do, what he had done, and what he constantly threatened to do again...leave. Yup, for years when he did something wrong, and he felt like some of his control was slipping away, he would pack his bags and leave. With me and my siblings crying for him not to go, and my mom begging him to stay - again. And he would just leave anyway. Showing no real emotion toward us at all. He would take our only car and leave us standing there, thinking it was our fault that he had left.

When he would come back he would give us the empty promise to never do it again. This happened more times than I can even dream about counting. But this is only one of the ways he used to keep us under his control. There are countless others. Everything from me not being able to remember a birthday where I haven't cried, to knowing we were going to get kicked out of our house - again - because, even though my dad made plenty of money to support his family, I don't know where it all went. We have been kicked out of 4 houses in 3 years because he didn't pay rent.

So, I have spent most of my life trying to forget my life.

Then, in January of 2008 he pulled the ultimatum, he was threatening to leave again (what else is new) but this time he was actually looking into how much he'd have to pay mom for child support, how much a divorce would cost, and then...he brought home the divorce papers, signed them and moved out.

He actually rented a moving truck, took all the stuff he wanted, and moved in with his cousin. This might sound weird, but right now I couldn't be happier. Life is just starting to become clear to me. I am realizing that everyday life can be the most wonderful experience anyone could ask for. I am finally starting to know what the actual peace of God feels like.

There is a verse that has been on my heart for a couple of years now, it's what has got me through some of the hardest times of my life. It's an instruction from God, and for me, also a promise. It's Romans 12:12 - Rejoice in this confident hope, be patient in times of trouble and keep on praying.

Goodness knows I need hope. I've definitely had my fair share of trouble. But, I have trusted God to be my father and provider; and I haven't stopped praying. That's the only thing that has got me through the hell that has been my life.

Now, I've started a new chapter in my life, one where I don't have a mask, it's just my face...and from where I'm sitting, life is pretty stinkin' amazing from this point of view.


My name is Paige, and I'm starting to survive.

8 comments:

Josh Enobakhare said...

Hey Paige and Laural,
This was a touching piece, I've always been amazing with the maturity you both have, and this just reveals it even more.
A verse that came to mind after I read this was Isaiah 26:3. It's where God promises perfect peace to all who trust him. It amazing how God takes you through different seasons in your life that seem to have no positive purpose at all. Its often a big surprise when God reveals the big picture and the amazing destiny that he had planned finally comes to past. I have experienced this, personally, many times in my life, and God has always revealed his extraordinary plan when the right time came. As a part of spiritual family I hope you know that we will always be there for you with an overflowing amount of spiritual support! Both of you and your other siblings are a pretty awesome bunch. :D
-Josh Enobakhare

Anonymous said...

You girls are amazing, I am so proud of you both, and I love you! :)

Esther

Anonymous said...

Hey Girls! =)

I know we don't talk a whole lot, but i felt like i needed to tell you that you have done a really hard thing and that is to move on with your life. It sounds like you are just totally leaving it up to God and not straying from him, which is really easy to do in this type of situation. I have to say that you had me fooled. I thought for sure your family was "the picture of perfection," but i see now that you were struggling with something so big for all this time! I know Divorce is hard to go through because of personal experience. I can't even imagine having no where to go and having my dad leave all the time. I am so amazed at how well you two have taken all this and will be praying for your whole family to deal with all the pain and just keep trusting in God to bring you through and never let you go! =) You Girls are so beautiful and so much fun to be with( even though we haven't hung out hardly at all) haha =) I love you and keep holding in there!!! =)

~Anna

Anonymous said...

You girls are so amazing. I truly admire your trust and faith through this whole situation. Though this whole situation has left you with scars, praise God that he can heal those, and praise him that the whole situation also left with you so many lessons and things that you still cannot see yet. You've done the right thing in trusting God the father to provide than placing all hope in your dad, I know that's hard to do when all you want is for him to change. Keep trusting and praying, and so will I =)

Anonymous said...

My prayer for you is that you will continue to feel God's loving arms tightly around you, holding and comforting you through this journey. Our happiness truly comes from the Lord. People will disappoint us and let us down, but "He" will never let you down! In fact, he carries us through the most hurtfull and difficult times life throws our way.
I can't say how proud I am of you and how your maturity shines through your words! Thank you for sharing your heart! God Bless!
Lisa

Jean Woest said...

P&L

You guys are awesome. Your story has been such an encouragement for me. I have to face a lot of the same stuff you guys are talking about, in more ways than one, and its such a blessing to be reminded that no family is perfect and that they shouldn't be. That we are all human and we all have to go through difficult stuff and that when we pretend like everything is fine we only hurt ourselves in the end. Today I really needed to be reminded of all this so thank you so much. Thank you for having teh courage to place your story out there. Like I said before, you guys are awesome!

Oh, and before I forget, I'm so excite dthat you guys have a blogspot now! I'm expecting lots of comments. And critisism. (thats constuctive critisism to you paige.)

Well, I'm off to finish chapter 3
0__-

Anonymous said...

I am so gratefull that you two have put up a good fight. God is seriously with you both and your family. I belive that he will bring you completely out of this with grace and mercy. Thank you both for posting your story, it realy speaks to me and makes me thank God more and more for both of you :) I love you both
Erika :)

Anonymous said...

wow. you two are amazing. i'm proud of you, and thank you for being bold enough to share your heart!!! i'm honored to know you, and look forward to hearing more!!!